T-Centralen (Swedish for "The T-Central"; T being an abbreviation for "tunnelbana", the Swedish word for "underground" or "subway") is a metro station that forms the heart of the Stockholm metro system, in the sense that it is the only station where all three of the system's lines meet. When opened on 24 November 1957 the name of the station was "Centralen" ("The Central"), but it was renamed on 27 January 1958, as the metro station often was mistaken for the central railway station to which it is connected.
Popular posts from this blog
The decision to build a metro in Stockholms was made in 1941. The first line opened in 1950, and today the system has 100 stations in use, of which 47 are underground and 53 above ground. The Stockholm metro is well known for its decoration of the stations; it has been called the longest art gallery in the world. More than 90 of the network's 100 stations are decorated with sculptures, rock formations, mosaics, paintings, installations, engravings and reliefs by over 150 different artists. Several of the stations (especially on the Blue Line) are left with the bedrock exposed, crude and unfinished, or as part of the decorations. At Rissne, an informative wall fresco about the history of Earth's civilizations runs along both sides of the platform.